Monday, February 22, 2010

Fruit Pizza

I am lucky that my own two kids love fruit, but I do have some daycare children that don't.  I have found that the kids (and provider) who don't care for fruit will eat it a lot better if it is part of a fun snack.  An item that is a big hit with my group is a recipe I found at http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org.  I've made a couple of minor modifications to make it work for us (and the food program). 

Strawberry  Shortcake's Fruit Pizza

  • 1 English muffin per two children (each child only needs a half to fulfill the USDA guidelines)
  • 1 Tablespoon fat free strawberry cream cheese per child
  • red grapes (quartered),  strawberries (sliced) and mandarin oranges (I cut them in half).  You will need 1/2 cup of fruit per child

Toast the English muffins, spread cream cheese on the toasted muffins, top with the fruit, and enjoy!  This is great recipe for the kids to help prepare.  I've found that it is difficult to get 1/2 cup of fruit on top of the English muffin so let the kids pile it high on top, eat some as they go, and spoon a little extra on the side.

One of our local grocery stores had grapes and strawberries on sale this week so we will definitely be eating fruit pizzas this week at daycare.

No comments: