Monday, February 8, 2010

Brown Rice Chicken Fiesta

I am excited to get started contributing to Life in the Pumpkin Patch.  I will be bringing you recipes and other tips to help you incorporate some healthier foods into your meals.



My first recipe quickly became a favorite in my family and with my daycare kids.  This is a tasty way to get some whole grains in your diet along with some good lean meats.

Brown Rice Chicken Fiesta - from UncleBens.com

1 cup Uncle Ben's whole grain rice, uncooked
1 pound diced raw chicken breast
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 (11 oz) can Mexican style corn, drained - I normally use regular corn not mexican style
1 tsp salt
2 T vegetable oil
1 envelope taco seasoning mix, divided
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Coat chicken with 3 T of taco seasoning.  Heat oil in 12 inch skillet cook chicken over medium-low heat until cooked through.  Cook rice according to package directions, adding the remaining taco seasoning to the water.  When the chicken is done, drain excess oil, then add the diced tomatoes and corn.  Stir until heated thoroughly.  Add rice to chicken and veggies.  Top with cheese when serving.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

You shared this recipe with me and my picky family liked it too!

Thanks for sharing it with all our readers.